Personally, I’m always skeptical when Apple brings a new product to the market.
Take the iPad for example. I remember thinking to myself, who in their right mind would buy a fat iPod touch? And how wrong was I, with hundreds of millions sold to date! It may have not performed as well as the iPhone and iPod but it has by no means flopped.
…So I was sort of right, right?
Reasons the Apple Watch will “tick”
- Developers – Think how rubbish your iPhone would be without apps like Shazam, Snapchat, whatsapp, instagram and Sky Sports. Apple gifted developers with the iPhone platform and they are doing it again with the apple watch. If the Apple Watch is to be a phenomenon it will need all major developers on board.
- Looks – Compared to other smart watches, the Apple watch is by far the sexiest. Also, it doesn’t have a ridiculous name like pebble.
- Fan Boys – Some Apple fans don’t see Apple as a technology company or even a brand, but as a religion. This reason alone guarantees Apple some success in sales figures.
Reasons the Apple Watch might “tock”
- More battery charging! – iPhones, iPads, Laptops. I don’t know about you but I’m fed up of the constant worry of my phone dying on me. Three devices is more than enough thanks.
- It’s totally dependent on its mother – Without the iPhone the Apple Watch is useless. It has no Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity, which makes it useless 90% of the time – if your battery habits are anything like mine…
- Looks – The Apple Watch may be handsome compared to its geeky technology rivals. But compared to traditional watches? I mean come on it’s got nothing on a gorgeous self-winding AP royal oak…
- Who in their right mind would buy a dwarf ipod Touch!!! – Using the crown as a navigator is in my opinion artistry by Johnny Ive and the creative team at Apple, however, I’m sure many UX developers will not share my opinion. It’s too damned fiddly!
Will it work? – No, not yet anyway….